The Master Gardener Program in Ozaukee County started in 2000. Over 500 people have been trained since that time, and there are currently 89 certified Master Gardener Volunteers (MGVs) for 2017. The UW-Extension Educator facilitating the MG Program is Agriculture Agent Stephanie Plaster.
Volunteer Service in 2016
|Youth Education||186 hours|
|Adult Education||6348 hours|
Since 2000: 82,648 hours at a value of over $1,557,500
* using the current estimated dollar value of volunteer time in Wisconsin of $22.48 per hour, from Independent Sector. Cumulative value based on previous annual estimates.
Where you can find activities by MGVs
- Ozaukee County Fair, Cedarburg
- Port Triangle Garden, Port Washington
- Webster Middle School, Cedarburg
- Lasata Care Center, Cedarburg
- Kuhefuss House Museum, Cedarburg
- Pioneer Village, Saukville
- Wash. Co. Comm. Garden, West Bend
- Tendick Park, Saukville
Plantings Reflect Ozaukee County in 1800’s
Pioneer Village is a living history museum located just north of Saukville with 20 restored and authentically furnished houses, barns, outbuildings, and the original Cedarburg Railroad Depot, all of which show how pioneer Ozaukee County residents lived in the 1800’s. MGVs planted herb and rose gardens and maintain other flower beds and shrubs throughout the village, many consistent with the period reflected by the museum.
Gardens Enhance Museum
The Kuehfuss House, built in 1849, is located in the heart of Cedarburg’s National Historic Downtown District. MGVs are responsible for the planting beds in the back and both side yards. Besides general cleanup and maintenance of the planting beds, we have transplanted hydrangeas to help hide a fence and make room to enlarge the restored herb garden. We have also revitalized the rose garden using restoration pruning techniques, established a compost pile, grouped existing hostas into a single garden for greater impact, and relocated a cast iron fountain to be used as a focal point.
Beloved Garden Renovated
The Triangle Garden in the heart of downtown Port Washington, on the corner of Franklin and Jackson streets at the base of St. Mary’s Hill, is a highly visible site near the downtown shops, restaurants and near the marina. It includes a donated memory bench for people to sit and enjoy the garden and downtown activity and sights. When taken over by MGVs recently, the garden needed to be redesigned, replanted and maintained regularly. The current design is a mix of trees, shrubs, and perennials.