If you have arthritic hands, big hands, or big arthritic hands (like I do) adapting the handles on your garden tools can increase comfort when doing gardening chores.
Making Garden Tools Work for You
A simple way to adapt a garden hand tool.
- Plumber’s foam pipe insulation ~ 1.5 inch diameter
- 18″ duct tape
- 18″ compression wrap (athletic tape)
- Cut a piece of foam the length of the garden tool handle.
- Cut a vertical slit to open the foam.
- Place foam over the handle of the garden tool.
- Secure in place by wrapping the duct tape around the foam.
- Make certain there are no uncomfortable seams (blister risk).
- Using the same procedure in step four, cover the tape with athletic web wrap to allow for a better grip surface.
- Make certain there are no uncomfortable seams.
- When the wrap gets dirty, remove it and replace with a clean piece of wrap.
By Amy Wagenfeld, PhD, OTR/L, CAPS