Transfer Master Gardener Volunteers
Out of state MGVs wishing to be certified as WI MGVs:
- Must verify their original certification by giving their local WI Extension agent a copy of their original MG course certificate or a letter from the certifying body in their transfer state stating the date MG training was completed, final exam was passed and required volunteer hours were completed.
- Must complete a background check* and volunteer agreement.
- Must submit a $40 fee (includes cost of background check, manual, and WIMGA dues) locally to be forwarded to the MG Program Office. An additional amount for local dues can be added to this fee.
- Must have the local UW-Extension office provide their contact information to the MG Program Office for inclusion in the statewide database.
- Must complete, during the first year they seek WI certification, the minimum number of volunteer hours and 20 hours of continuing education that is approved by UWEX. This is to better acquaint them with WI Extension bulletins and gardening conditions in WI. WI MG recertification guidelines apply once Transfer MGVs are certified in WI.
- Should review the current WI MG training manual for the Level 1 Course.
- Are encouraged to join a local MG association.
- Are encouraged to take the next available UWEX MG training session in their area. This requirement may be relaxed for MGVs coming from adjacent states with similar gardening conditions and similar training materials. This is left up to the discretion of the local facilitator.
*Not all states have open records laws like Wisconsin does. Criminal background checks cannot be completed for residents of certain states. Only the National Sex Offender Registry will be checked for those tranferring from states where BCs are not permitted.