Session 3: Soils
This session is focused on soils, soil sampling and the soil test report.
Instructions for Faciliators: Session 3 OPEN THIS FIRST!
Handouts for Sessions 3
- Lecture note pages
- Review questions
- Soil Test Examples
- In-class learning activity sheets for session 3
- Healthy Plant Foundations crossword puzzle
- List of relevant resources
All handouts combined
(includes all files above, except the puzzle (was in Sept newsletter) and answer sheets)
MG Progam Presentation
How to Collect a Soil Sample
- Powerpoint File (5,629KB)
- UWEX Publication A2166, Sampling Garden Soils and Turf Areas for Testing
- View the video "How to Collect a Soil Sample" (posted February 8, 2011) on the Plants + People blog
Alternative Learning Activities:
- Have class participants complete a soil sample and send it in for analysis. Doing the soil test on their own property helps them understand how to take soil samples and how to interpret the analysis.
- Bring in soil sample reports and compare pH ranges and calculate amendment applications necessary to alter pH to an ideal condition. Calculate and compare fertilizer application needs using inorganic fertilizers as 5-10-10 and 10-10-10. Calculate and compare fertilizer applications using organic compost (horse manure).