Hosting a MG Conference (Annual or Regional)
The purpose of the WIMGA Annual conference is to provide education, bring together MGVs, and serve as a venue for WIMGA annual meeting. It is also a fund-raiser for the state Association.
Hosting a MG conference can benefit local associations in a variety of ways, such as showcasing their area and local experts to other MGVs, and can be an opportunity to get to know nearby associations when jointly hosting an event.
A local MGA or group of MGAs host(s) the conference on behalf of the WIMGA. It must be remembered that regardless of which association hosts the conference, any problems or inequities that arise, will reflect primarily on the WIMGA as well as the host group(s).
This document outlines some of the requirements and recommendations for a local MG Association(s) hosting a Master Gardener conference:
Local WI Master Gardener groups or a group interested in hosting a WIMG Association conference must:
- Complete an application and submit it to the WI MG Program Coordinator's Office by the first of August two years before the year of the conference (e.g. by August 1, 2015 for the 2017 conference). This application will help the local group(s) evaluate their resources to host a conference and the Association, with advice from the WI MG Advisory Committee if necessary, to select a conference site.
Share the following information from the Operating Guidelines on steps for planning a conference with the conference organizing committee
- Some Example Documents (mentioned in the Operating Guidelines)
A final report must be submitted within 3 months of the conference using
Final Report (a fillable form)
The WIMGA will assist the local host(s) by:
- Providing seed money – a loan that must be paid back to the WIMGA out of conference revenues within six months post conference. Annual Conference host(s) will receive a total of $1,000 (or more upon request). Additional loans requests must be sent to the WIMGA Treasurer and require full board approval.
- Providing resources such as previous conference information.
The WI MG Program Coordinator will (if requested) assist the local host(s) in:
- Choosing a conference theme
- Production & distribution of registration brochure
- Publicizing the conference – in the WIMGA newsletter and on the MG website
- Providing the raffle license and reporting forms
Some important financial considerations:
- Distribution of profits or losses from any WIMGA sponsored conference will be 25% to the local host association(s) and 75% to the WIMGA.
- Disbursements and credits from any WIMGA sponsored conference will be reviewed by a representative of both the state and local association(s).
- Of the 75% profit realized by the WIMGA, 50% will go into a Continuing Education Fund Account and 50% will go into standard operating account.
- Any WI MGV acting as a presenter or speaker at the WIMGA sponsored conference will have the registration fee discounted or waived (if at all possible) as determined by the WIMGA.