Requirements for Certification as a Master Gardener Volunteer
To become certified, you must
- Complete a background check
- Complete the minimum 36 hours of Level 1 training
- Sign a volunteer agreement
- Achieve a 70% or better score on the final open-book exam
- Complete at least 24 hours of volunteer service within one year of training (higher requirements may be imposed locally).
At the completion of all the requirements, you may receive an official Master Gardener Volunteer certificate and are eligible to order a name badge. Contact your local training facilitator for specific details in your county.
Recertification is required annually to remain a Master Gardener Volunteer in good standing. To be recertified you must complete 10 hours of continuing education and provide 24 hours of volunteer service.